In 2007, Catholic High School, New Iberia, Louisiana celebrated its 50th year at the DeLaSalle Drive location, continuing a long and distinguished history. The opening of Mount Carmel Academy for girls in 1870 by the Sisters of Mount Carmel began the tradition of Catholic education in Iberia Parish. In 1873, Holy Cross College offered a college preparatory education to young men of the area. By 1881, since the school was within the church parish of St. Peter’s, Holy Cross College was renamed St. Peter’s Academy. In 1918, the Sisters of the Blessed Sacrament founded St. Edward School. In that same year, a growing St. Peter’s College moved to East Main Street with 106 students and 5 Christian Brothers.
By 1957, St. Peter’s had outgrown its downtown facility, and the school was moved to its present forty-acre location on DeLaSalle Drive. The move outside the church parish boundary prompted yet another name change to the current Catholic High School. In the 1970s, St. Edward School became the primary feeder school for Catholic High’s male student population and Mt. Carmel Academy’s female students. Catholic High School enrolled its first female students in 1987. In the spring of 1988, Mt. Carmel Academy closed its doors, and Catholic High School became the sole Catholic high school for the Iberia Deanery also serving the students of Trinity Catholic in St. Martinville and St. Joseph’s School in Jeanerette. The end of the 1994-1995 school year marked the end of Christian Brothers as administration and faculty members and the beginning of lay leadership.
The crest of Catholic High School possesses deep meaning for those who have been members of the Catholic High School faith community throughout the years as well as present members of the Catholic High family. The meaning of its symbols has touched the hearts of many and will continue to do so for generations to come. In the bottom right quadrant, the keys of St. Peter represent St. Peter's College, the first Christian Brothers school in New Iberia. The upper right quadrant bears their Star of Faith. The year 1918 is displayed in the banner at the top of the crest and marks the year St. Peter's College was founded. The cross located in the center of the school crest declares the catholicity of Catholic High School. The Crown in the upper left quadrant represents the Sisters of Mount Carmel. The NI in the lower left quadrant represents New Iberia, the school's hometown since its founding. The Catholic High School motto is proudly displayed at the bottom of the crest and declares Acta Non Verba which means "Actions Not Words", the motto by which all graduates of Catholic High School strive to live.